Do you get anxious before dental or medical treatments? Perhaps you have always had a phobia of visiting the dentist. You are not alone. A lot of people are so phobic about going to the dentist that they prefer not to have any treatment. At Grove Avenue Family & Cosmetic Dentistry we are committed to making your dental visit as comfortable and worry free as possible. Dr. Adams is highly trained and experienced in the safe and effective use of modern IV sedation techniques.
What is IV Sedation Dentistry
IV sedation dentistry offers the benefit of getting the dental treatment you need in a very relaxed state. Medication is administered intravenously to help you relax and the treatment or procedure is performed. You will still be conscious during the dental visit, but relaxed and unaware of any pain, smells or noises that can trigger anxiety. Sedation dentistry benefits patients who are truly fearful and so anxious that they are unable to go to the dentist. Sedation dentistry may also be appropriate for patients that:
- Have a low pain threshold.
- Cannot sit in the dental chair for extended periods of time.
- Have very sensitive teeth.
- Have a sensitive gag reflex.
- Have a lot of dental work that needs to be completed.
The Benefits of IV Sedation
Often patients will postpone or neglect getting dental procedures due to phobias or stress and anxiety that comes with being in a dental office. The lack of regular dental cleanings and maintenance will make the inevitable appointment unbearable. IV sedation allows patients to receive the dental care that is needed and required to maintain good oral health. Other benefits of IV sedation include:
- Minimal to no pain. Patients can experience dental procedures with the maximum amount of pain control.
- No memory. Amnesia is a side effect of the IV sedation which makes patients more cooperative and more likely to continue with regular dental visits improving their overall oral health.
- Greater cooperation. The relaxed condition patients achieve through IV sedation allows the dentist to accomplish a greater amount of work in shorter amount of time due to increased patient cooperation.
What Grove Avenue Family & Cosmetic Dentistry Offers
Our practice is dedicated to providing the finest quality dental treatment in a friendly, enjoyable and caring environment. We are dedicated to making you feel comfortable and relaxed. We are here to listen to your questions and concerns and to provide you with solutions leading to improved oral health. If you have not seen a dentist in the past year due to fear, anxiety or phobias, we are here to help! Please call our office today (804) 285-1378.