Dental sealants are very thin coatings used to fill in deep grooves and pits in teeth that can harbor bacteria. They are highly effective at preventing decay on the biting surfaces of your chewing teeth. Sealants
require a simple procedure in which a tooth-colored acrylic “coating” is painted onto the surface of the tooth. This effectively “seals” the deep grooves acting as a barrier, and protecting enamel from plaque and acids.
Benefits of Dental Sealants:
- Sealants protect the depressions and grooves of your teeth from food particles and plaque that brushing and flossing can’t reach.
- Easy to apply, sealants take only a few minutes to seal each tooth.
- Sealants hold up well under the force of normal chewing and can last several years before a reapplication is needed.
- Sealants are more affordable and less invasive to prevent cavities than it is to treat irreversible dental decay.
- Sealants are white or clear in color, making them virtually invisible when talking, smiling or eating.
- Children and adults can benefit from sealants in the fight against tooth decay